I'm So Glad

Fall of my senior year in high school, I had to decide which colleges I was going to apply to and I chose 5: NYU, Emory, Spelman, Tennessee State and Howard. While NYU was my first choice, I mean who doesn't want to live in NY, it was just too expensive and as a first-generation college student, there was no money to help with expenses and working 2 jobs plus going to school was not in my plan. Emory was next because, well I wanted to live in Atlanta after all it was the NY of the South, but several of my high school classmates were accepted to Emory and I really didn't want to be around anyone from high school, not because I didn't like them but because I really wanted to start fresh. I truly had no preference between Spelman, TSU and Howard, but TSU was knocked out of the running when I was told that they were going through a lot of changes and it might not be a good fit for me, so that bumped them off the list. So it was between Spelman and Howard, both of which I visited, Spelman during Freaknik and well, that sealed their fate. No way did I want to be around such craziness, so Howard it was. Boy am I glad, I had no idea of Howard's history, nor did I know the prestige that came with saying, yes I attend Howard. It turns out that everyone wanted to attend Howard and seriously I had no idea. The Mecca as I learned once I stepped on the campus.

Now that I have graduated, it is still crazy to me that I had no idea of the legacy that I would become a part of. Everyone I look, I see visions of my alma mater. I watch a show and someone is sporting a HU shirt, Bill Cosby on the Cosby Show, Marlon Wayons on the Wayons brothers, Tracee Ellis Ross's character on her current television show is a Howard alumnae. 

What sparked this post was song by Drake where he raps : Sounds so smart like you  graduated college, like you went to Yale but you probably went to Howard. 

I mean seriously how many of you can say, yeah my alma mater is mentioned in a top 10 Rap song? 

Awe HU..

Bison Pride 
C/O 97

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair Pt1 The Girls

Untitled for Now

BoxTops For Education